Our client in the hospitality sector is recruiting a MAINTENANCE MANAGER
This position involves directing maintenance operations throughout the hotel premises, aligning with established objectives and policies. You will be responsible for planning, coordinating, controlling, and managing all departmental activities and resources. Your primary role will be to ensure the optimal performance of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and structural systems to uphold a safe, comfortable, and efficient environment for both guests and staff. Leading a team of maintenance professionals, liaising with external contractors, and overseeing budgets to facilitate effective facility maintenance and repair are integral aspects of your responsibilities.
1. Maintenance Planning and Execution:
- Plan short- and long-term objectives of the Maintenance Department in collaboration with Hotel Management as well as the Construction & Technology Services Department at Head Office and, organises the department according to management directives, in conformity with the Group Policies.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive maintenance plan for the hotel, including preventive maintenance schedules in liaison with Corporate Office and reactive maintenance protocols.
- Develop, define, review and, continuously improve the Departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensure compliance with the Hotel and Corporate Rules and Regulations, Standards and Procedures.
- Conduct regular inspections of hotel facilities to identify maintenance needs and prioritise tasks accordingly.
- Oversee the execution of maintenance and repair activities, ensuring minimal disruptions to guests and other operations.
- Ensure that equipment as well as Hotel Structural infrastructure are in good running conditions and report any malfunctions for remedial actions and follow- up in due time.
- Solicit bids for maintenance projects and negotiate contracts to ensure competitive pricing and quality services
- Select, evaluate, and liaise with required subcontractors, related to their specific field of expertise, in order to have optimized and efficient operation processes.
- Attend daily and other Management meetings to share operational information and holds daily briefing sessions and periodical departmental meetings with the departmental team.
- Put forth suggestions to management for continuous improvement of the department as well as to operations.
- Continuous monitoring of operation performance and compliance with contractual agreements.
2. Human Resources management:
- In consultation with the People & Culture Department, take full accountability for the Human Resources Management of the Department, including manpower planning, recruitment, selection, promotion, performance management, training and development and discipline whilst strictly adhering to the Company’s values, Equal opportunity Policy and all HR related policies and procedures.
- Develop, facilitate, organise, and deliver on-the-job training, coaching sessions and other relevant training and development activities to continuously maintain and enhance knowledge and competencies of employees.
- Ensure that incidents, accidents, and disciplinary matters are reported immediately as per Policies and Rules and investigated thoroughly so that remedial actions can be recommended and implemented as required
- Setting up Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), conducting performance reviews and ensuring that they have the necessary skills, knowledge, and tools to perform their duties effectively
- Provide ongoing coaching and support to maintenance officers/ supervisors, chief tradesman, fostering a culture of accountability and excellence.
- Evaluate the needs of the maintenance team, review their methods and propose adapted solutions.
- Implement disciplinary actions when necessary.
3. Utilities Management
- Provide information of all technological advancements in the maintenance field whilst controlling and reducing wastage in all its forms.
- Continuous monitoring of all utilities within the maintenance operations such as energy (Electricity, diesel & gas), water, chemical and waste management.
- Review and continuously improve the sustainability action plan with annual achievable and measurable targets
4. Budget management
- Prepare and control capital and operational budgets for the Maintenance Department in collaboration with Hotel Management and the Corporate Office and produce monthly financial reports with analysis comments.
- Develop and manage the maintenance department budget, including forecasting expenses and identifying cost-saving opportunities.
- Procure necessary materials, tools, and equipment within budgetary constraints, ensuring optimal use of resources.
- Monitor expenditures and variances, adjusting plans as needed to stay within budgetary limits.
- Facilitate the seamless transfer of materials and equipment acquired for operations from storage areas whilst ensuring that materials are promptly utilized and not left idle in storage for extended periods, promoting efficient use and timely deployment for operational needs.
5. Compliance and Standards
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and, codes, and safety standards governing hotel maintenance operations.
- Implement and enforce safety protocols to minimize the risk of accidents or injuries to guests and staff.
- Conduct regular inspections to ascertain the cleanliness and safety of the site, equipment and tools whilst coordinating with relevant authorities for necessary certifications.
- Act as major support for internal and external auditing (Earthcheck, HACCP, tour operators’ audit and General Safety Standards).
- Involve in process auditing, quality assurance, preventive maintenance, problem solving and implementation of SOPs, while staying focused on sustainable development and continuous improvement.
6. Emergency Response
- Develop and implement emergency procedures to address maintenance-related accidents, such as power outages, plumbing leaks, or equipment failures.
- Coordinate with other hotel departments and external service providers to resolve emergencies promptly and effectively.
Green Team Member: Appointed as a mandatory green team member of the hotel for the Earth Check Certification processes, which promotes sustainable development in tourism. This commitment aims at reducing the environmental impact of the hotel's operations, through measures such as energy efficiency, waste reduction, and promoting eco-friendly practices.
Plant Management: Responsible for the management of production plants, including chillers & cooling towers, solar water heaters, generators, photovoltaic panel, hot water boilers, desalination plants, firefighting network and fire detection devices while overseeing critical infrastructure and equipment necessary for the hotel's operations, ensuring they are properly maintained, efficient, and operational.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Proven experience in maintenance management, preferably in a hospitality environment.
- Basic technical knowledge of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse team.
- Proficiency in budgeting and financial management.
- Familiarity with relevant regulations and safety standards.
- Problem-solving abilities and a proactive approach to maintenance issues.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
1. Flexible Schedule: The role may require working evenings, weekends, cyclones and holidays as needed.
2. On-Call Responsibilities: The position may require being on call to respond to maintenance emergencies outside of regular working hours. This means that even when not officially on duty, the maintenance manager may need to be available to address urgent issues that arise outside of normal working hours.
3. Duty Manager: Acting as night duty manager for the hotel
Proactive reserves the right:
To call only the shortlisted candidates for interview.
Not to make any appointment following this advertisement nor to assign any reason whatsoever for accepting or rejecting any candidate.